Intake of Anti-inflammatory Foods
Inflammation is one of the major causes of back pain. Inflammation is completely related to your food intake. If your diet consists of foods which increase inflammation, then your chances of back pain increase as well. However, there are many foods which actually reduce the inflammation and give you relief from the back pain. If you ask an eminent spine surgeon, you will come to know that if this basic cause of back pain is not controlled, inflammation will not only cause lower back pain, it will also create other problems in the body. So a healthy and nutritious diet to fight it off is extremely important.
Here is a list of anti-inflammatory foods that you can include in your daily diet to avoid back pain.
- Vegetables like carrots, beets and sweet potatoes, onion, broccoli.
- Fruits like cherries, berries, pomegranate, watermelon, and grapes.
- Herbs and Spices like oregano, basil, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, cumin, rosemary, oregano and not to forget turmeric which is good for many other problems too.
- Flax and Chia Seeds
- Cold water fish like salmon, tuna, herring, sardines, trout, black cod and mackerel which are rich sources of Omega 3.
- Herbal Teas like Green Tea, Oolong Tea and White Tea are very good for back pain.
- Olives and Olive oil have healing properties as well.
- Lean Proteins like turkey, chicken, cocoa and beans should also be a part of your diet.
- Calcium rich foods like dairy products like milk, low-fat yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese.
By including these veggies, fruits and herbs along with teas and the proteins, you will experience a massive reduction in inflammation in the cartilage in the spinal column. It is effective for relief of stiffness and pain in the back. Intake of green vegetables and other such foods with healing properties is also good for your overall health. Calcium is extremely important for your bones. As you age, the risk of arthritis and osteoporosis also increases. Intake of calcium rich foods prevents you from these painful diseases. Also, remember to use monounsaturated oils like canola or olive oil to cook your meals.
Do you Like Us?
With the consultation of a well known spine surgeon, you can also include avocados and nuts in your ideal diet to relieve back pain. Pecan nuts, almonds, walnuts and Brazil nuts, all are effective for easing the pain.
Foods to Avoid:
There are certain foods that you need to avoid if you want to maintain a healthy back and neck. We tend to be careless in our busy routines and our spine takes all the stress from our carelessness. To avoid extreme measure like surgery, it is better and even easier to maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Here’s a list of foods that you should completely take out of your diet as they are the main culprits causing inflammation:
- Caffeine and Alcohol
- Processed Foods, Fast Foods and Saturated Foods. All the pasta, rice, white bread, sugary and fizzy drinks, fried food and snacks should be consumed very rarely.
- Foods with partially hydrogenated oil in them like peanut, soybean, corn, cotton seeds, sesame seeds, safflower, grapeseed, and sunflower oils.
- Foods packed with preservatives like chips, crackers, and pastries which cannot go bad for a long time.