Nobody likes an aged skin especially when the aging seems to be premature as a result of stressful lifestyle, environmental factors and genetics. Facelift surgery helps take the effects off the skin rejuvenating it and making it look youthful and attractive. Loss of facial fat results into sagging muscles and skin and considering that the skin also loses elasticity as we age the effects can be quite unsightly.
A facelift can include varying procedures such as re-draping loose skin and removal of any excess skin, fat grafting, excess fat removal, shaving submandibular glands and tightening lax neck and face muscles. Some patients going through a facelift may choose to also have other procedures to improve their looks such as brow lifts and lower eyelid surgeries among others. Whereas as facelift will get rid of sagged skin, tighten deeper tissues and create a more defined and attractive jaw line, you would need to know how to take care of your skin after the surgery to enjoy long term results. Below are a few after care tips that will make a difference for you.
1. Adhere to all post-operative instructions that you get from your plastic surgeon. Healing that starts smoothly will always fetch you the great results that you expect. For instance, make sure you leave the bandages on till you are directed to remove or change them, it easy to chew foods, take all medications as prescribed and skip any strenuous exercises and vigorous activity.
2. To reduce swelling and bruising that is common few days after the surgery, sleep with the head up at an angle that is no less than 30 degrees; you can use several pillows to keep head up. You should also stay away from heat that makes the swelling worse. You can use ice packs and cold compresses to reduce swelling by constricting blood vessels.
Do you Like Us?
3. Rest as much as you possibly can. Getting enough sleep, relaxing and resting hasten the healing process because it takes too much pressure off the face. It would be a good idea to take leave from work for a few days when thinking of getting the surgery so you have enough recovery time.
4. Your skin might feel quite tender after you have had a facelift especially around areas where there are incisions. Make sure that you wash face and cleanse it to remove bacteria and minimize the chances of breakouts and infections. Find a soft cloth to wash the face softly and gently. To reduce infections on incisions, you probably will be recommended an antibacterial product by your surgeon. Do not use any other beauty products on the face until your doctor gives you the go ahead.
5. Keep the skin protected from the harmful sun rays. Sun exposure on incision sites that are still healing can lead to discoloring or darkening and this can be permanent. You might need to stay away from the sun for a few weeks after the surgery. The use of sunblock or sunscreen may also be recommended to prevent the effects if you really have to be outdoors.